Ductless vs. Window A/Cs: Six key advantages
If you don’t have ductwork built into your New Jersey home, you probably keep it cool by using window air conditioners. But there’s a much better (and less back-breaking) option for homes that can’t accommodate central air conditioning: a ductless mini-split system.
Compared to window A/Cs, ductless systems are quieter and more efficient – and they don’t need to be pulled out, stored, and re-installed every year.
Here are some more advantages of a ductless system compared to window A/Cs:
- Flexible placement – A ductless system consists of two components: an indoor air handler and an outdoor condenser. Air handlers come in a range of sizes and can be placed in rooms with or without windows, giving you more installation options than window A/Cs. Up to four air handlers can run off a single condenser, allowing you to create flexible “cooling zones” in your home.
- Greater efficiency – Most ductless systems having SEER ratings in the 17 to 18 range or more – well more than the 14 or 15 rating that most window units reach. Using zone cooling smartly can also improve efficiency.
- Easier installation – Installing a ductless system typically takes about a day; only a small (3”) pipe hole needs to be made in your external wall to connect the indoor and outdoor components of your system.
- Quieter performance – When running, air handlers reach volumes as low as 19 decibels — about equal to a whisper. That’s a big contrast with typically noisy window units!
- More eco-friendly performance – Higher efficiency means you’ll use less energy to do the same job. Ductless systems also use a more ozone-friendly refrigerant (R410A) than most window A/Cs.
- More light and a better view – With a ductless system, you won’t take up precious window space – so you’ll get natural light and a view back into your room.
Wondering if a ductless system is right for your NJ home? Contact us today for a FREE, no obligation estimate – and don’t forget to ask about A/C Maintenance Specials!
Hilltop Energy: Serving our New Jersey neighbors in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren Counties.